MICHIGAN COUNCIL FOR
MCPP Board of Directors Meeting Minutes September 2009
Ann Arbor City Club
Ann Arbor, Michigan
September 20, 2009
MPC Executive Board members: M. Anderson, A. Brickman, S. Freiband, D. Gartland, R. Hutchison, B. Klein, B. Lepisto, M. Meisels, M. Stirling-Doherty, S. Trylch, B. Waiess, J. Wixom, P. Wood
MPC Members, Committee Chairs and Representatives: D. Klein, D. Drayson
I. Secretary’s Report – Diane Gartland
- Minutes from the May meeting were approved.
II. President’s Report – Murray Meisels
- In keeping with past practice regarding the filling of vacancies on the Board, Dr. Meisels proposed that a member be considered for the position. A motion was made and carried that Suanne Zager be installed as a Member at Large to fill an existing vacancy.
- Dr. Meisels proposed that the idea of organizational self study be discussed and a committee established. A discussion ensued. A motion was made and carried that an ad hoc committee be established to implement the self study function mandated by the by-laws and that the committee define its own specific responsibilities as the first order of business.
- Dr. Meisels proposed that a distance learning committee be established. A discussion ensued regarding televised meetings, Skyping and other matters related to the proposal. A motion was made and carried that a Distance Learning Committee be established.
- Dr. Meisels acknowledged that a committee chair would have to be appointed for the Self Study Committee and the Distance Learning Committee and proposed that a search by the membership chair be made of MPC members.
- Dr. Meisels briefly discussed the proposal of a doctoral student to study the organization as her dissertation project. It was agreed that the discussion be tabled due to other pressing board business.
III. Treasurer’s Report – Mary Ann Stirling-Doherty
- We have problems with the budget both with incoming and outgoing funds due to the fiscal crisis and our funds not compounding. The current figures indicate $13,208.61 in the Operating Fund, $3751.70 in the Anne Cunningham Library Fund and $32,692.88 for a total of $49,653.19 as opposed to $21,907.62 in the Operating Fund, $3,697.46 in the Library Fund and $35,946.43 in the Development Fund in 2008 and a total last year at this time of $61,551.51. Part of the operating budget is already committed to an emergency fund, the Child Psychoanalytic Program and the recruitment committee.
IV. Training and Certification Committee - Peter Wood
- Mr. Wood presented the proposal for the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program. A motion was made and carried that the training program for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy be approved. A discussion ensued about the proposed fee for certification. In recognition of the fact that psychoanalytic psychotherapy is a specialty which is as important as psychoanalysis and given the fact that those certified would be teaching, supervising and functioning as training therapists, it was decided that the certification fee be increased. A motion was made and carried that the yearly certification fee for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapists be $100. It was further decided that the proposed procedures regarding grandfathering be tabled for discussion and action at a later time.
- Mr. Wood announced the members of the Training and Certification Committee as Carol Levin, Pat Marciniak, Reena Liberman, Pamela Orosan-Weine, Ira Schaer, Mary Anderson, Cynthia Hockett, David Freiband.
- Mr. Wood requested budget approval for the T and C committee. A motion was made and carried that a budget of $1470 be approved.
V. Program Committee - Jean Wixom
- Dr. Wixom presented a closing expense report from the outgoing Vice President of Programs Karen Baker for the 2008-2009 year on line. The Total Expense was $18,660.66 for the last program year.
- Dr. Wixom presented the program committee members as Karen Baker, Art Brickman, Marybeth Atwell, Cynthia Hockett, Sheila Wasung.
- Dr. Wixom noted that the Annual Fall Conference: Working at the "Intimate Edge' by Dr. Darlene Ehrenberg which is scheduled to take place at the Sheraton-Detroit Novi Hotel would still require a large budget but that next year the cost for the Fall program may need to be lower. She submitted a breakdown of the program costs for for the coming year. A motion was made and carried that a budget of $24,217 be approved for Programs for the coming year.
- Dr. Wixom invites people to give her ideas about advertisement of programs.
VI. Professional and Community Development Committee - Sonya Freiband
- Dr. Freiband wants to bring in more people from the MPC community to become involved in PCD activities.
- She submitted a breakdown of the budget proposal. CE credits will need to be included in the budget.
- A motion was made and carried that a budget of $2780 be approved for Professional and Community Development activities.
VII. MPC Bulletin V - David Klein
- Dr. Klein submitted a breakdown of costs and a proposed budget for our journal. A motion was made and carried that a budget of $3550 be approved for Volume V of the Bulletin of the Michigan Psychoanalytic Council.
VIII. New Business
- Dr. Meisels would like to hold a meeting in December because he will not be available in January. Our next meeting is scheduled for November 15, 2009.
Diane M. Gartland Psy.D.