MICHIGAN COUNCIL FOR
MCPP Board of Directors Meeting Minutes October 2011
The Michigan League
Ann Arbor, Michigan
October 23, 2011
MPC Board members: M. Atwell, D. Freiband, S. Freiband, M. Frye, R. Hutchison, D. Klein, M. Meisels, L. Pierce, M. Rivette, M. Rudy, M. Slowiaczek , E. Waiess, P. Wood,
1. The minutes of the meeting of September 18, 2011 were approved unanimously.
2. Treasurer (Michael Rudy)
2. President (Elizabeth Waiess)
3. Past President’ (Murray Meisels)
4. President Elect – No report.
5. Education and Training (Peter Wood)
6. Programs (Michele Rivette)
7. Certification – no report
8. Committee Reports
- Moved that card/flowers be sent to Jennifer Rahn. Motion was seconded, discussed and passed unanimously.
- Board members expressed their satisfaction with Rahn’s services, noting also the benefit that her long services provides continuity and memory of the group’s history
- Call on all to keep eyes out for candidates.
- Elections this year will be for 2 at-large members, replacing Atwell and Huchison. It will be done on line.
- Recommended exploring the idea of adding to the website an interview with one or more of the certified analysts that explains what analysis is, what would happen if you are in analysis.
- Enrollment wasn’t good for professional development courses. Hutchison will check how/whether the information is getting out through the various colleges/ universities. Noted the need to form relationships, not just send information out.
- The new bulletin is in production.
- Rudy presented ideas about the possibilities of reallocating the MPC’s investments. Discussion of the pros and cons of various ways of investing, including concern that enough funds be kept liquid, so we can manage funding if unexpected expenses or lower incomes occur.
- A motion that Rudy be authorized to reallocate MPC investments (referencing Rudy, a professional financial advisor, not “the treasurer”). A substitute motion was made that we remove the funds from the broker presently handling them, and replace with another.
- It was moved to table the substitute motion and postpone further consideration of the management of the funds, pending a report to the board by the Finance Committee. This was seconded and passed unanimously.
- Wood reminded the board that it decided last year to allocate half of the tuition taken in to the course instructor and noted (1) we need to consider whether we need to make up that revenue, (2) whether this is working to encourage instructors to recruit students, and (3) whether this policy should be time-limited.
9. The meeting was adjourned.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Marilyn Frye, board secretary.
Note: it is MPC policy that Board meetings are open to all MPC members. Priority is given to Board members to address issues, but all MPC members may speak at meetings, time permitting.