MCPP Board of Directors Meeting Minutes January 2018
Ann Arbor MI
January 21, 2018
9am – 10:30am
Present: Sonya Freiband, David Freiband, Michael Rudy, Ralph Hutchison, Margaret Sweet, Robert Hooberman, Keri Warren, Peter Wood, Alice Michael, Debra Hutton
The minutes of the meeting of November 19, 2017 were approved.
- President: Sonya Freiband stressed the importance of the upcoming elections and encouraged members to reach out to colleagues to invite them to run for a position. The board brainstormed ways to encourage committee and board leadership.
- President Elect: Sonya again stressed that this will be a vital position to fill to ensure leadership continuity.
- Education and Training: Peg Sweet reported that she has received a significant amount of interest from the letter she sent out regarding teaching opportunities. Eight people have let her know that they would want to teach in the fall or near future. Another letter has been sent to potential candidates with one positive response in Ann Arbor and five in East Lansing. Other populations that might attract potential candidates were discussed. The importance of course sequence was highlighted.
- Programs: David Freiband reported that the March Symposium Brochure is at the graphic designer’ Beth Waeis’ talk, scheduled for the same day as the symposium, has been rescheduled for November 2018. Ways to advertise the symposium were discussed and board members pledged to contact specific institutions.
- Treasurer: Kerri Warren presented the budget report. MCPP is in a strong position as monetary inflow is greater than monetary outflow.
- Candidate Representative: Michael Rudy thanked Ralph Hutchison for his enlightening paper.
- Membership: There have been 56 memberships renewed to date. Another reminder will go out this week.
- Visiting Professor: Robert Hooberman reported that Tony Bass will be this year’s Visiting Professor. The dinner and lecture will be held on March 15 from 6:30 – 9:00 PM in the Kalamazoo Room at the Michigan Union. The presentation will be interactive and members are encouraged to sign up. $65.00 members $25.00 students.
Meeting adjourned at 10:30am.
NOTES respectfully submitted by Debra Hutton, board secretary.
Note: it is MCPP policy that Board meetings are open to all MCPP members. Priority is given to Board members to address issues, but all MCPP members may speak at meetings, time permitting.